Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spoony Bard Post

Artwork for FF4 DS


Final Fantasy IV GBA
April 10, 2010

Today I've just finished playing FF4 for the GBA version. I've been retro about some of these games so I can relive the emotions. Choz! But this game has got to be the boring-est Final Fantasy ever. I mean the fight system just sucks. I know this was the first time the series put in the active time bar, but for them to not include memory setting in-battle is unforgiveable. Well, you could actually get the hang of it, but it certainly erased any chance for power-levelling via rapidfire. Actually, I'm just mad because I can't fastforward through my fights because the setting is always on 'Fight!'

Anyways, I don't think I'm writing a separate review on this game anymore. I'll just say it here: IT SUCKED! It's just bad that Cecil is one of the coolest heroes on the series* and this game doesn't give him justice. Wait, I just remembered Cecil and Rosa are on that underrated game Secret of Evermore running a store.

Anyways, I liked the Four Elemental Fiends concept borrowed from the original game of the series. The four named Scarmiliogne, Cagnazzo, Barbariccia, and Rubicante are four devils said to inhabit Inferno in Dante's Divine Comedy, although they were named differently in the original SNES translation.

The sountrack is good though. Most memorable would be Theme of Love which they added vocals for the DS release. The other one is Dance of the Calcobrena which somehow reminds me of Succession of Witches from FFVIII**.



The sequel Final Fantasy IV: The After looks promising, though I'm not sure why it was titled that way. It's like the programmers were like:

Programmer 1: Hey let's make a new game! 
Programmer 2: Not another sequel for FF7 or FFX?! 
Programmer 1: No, no. Let's do something after FF4.
Programmer 2: Yes, where everyone's older and stuff. Let's call it IV-2!
Programmer 1: Done that. How about Final Fantasy IV After Crisis?
Programmer 2: Done that as well, but I like the 'After'
Programmer 1: Final Fantasy IV: The After?!
Programmer 2: After what?
Programmer 1: Dunno. You're the one who thought about it.
Programmer 2: Who cares. ZOMG it's time to harvest my pineapples...

That Ceodore dude looks as cool as his dad. And Palom and Porom have evolved from snotty brats. This game is a cross between the main title and Chrono Trigger so yeah I think that's way better. Just add in memory setting in-battle and it'll be perfect.

But going back, they thought Edward would save this game?! That spoony bard?! Grrr... I'm on Team Tellah yah know! I'll Meteor to death this game... just as soon as I charge up to 99 MP.


Overall Verdict: 2.5 out of 5 stars. I'm feeling kind today.

____________________
*Physically and mentally: his transformation from dark to light as he conquers his internal demons.
**I know 4 came before 8 but I played 8 before 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online